Friday 20 April 2012

Inspiration

As I was heading into the city centre yesterday, people kept trying to hand me all sorts of things whether it was newspapers as I was walking up Oxford Road or student giving out leaflets for various causes ( I was even handed a bottle of Powerade!). I am pretty sure that I hadn't been ambushed like that since freshers week. As a student, you learn to ignore it - if you didn't there you would probably have enough bits of paper that would have come from an entire rainforest. All day I had been having creative thoughts about my portfolio for uni and, of course, my cards. 
I was finally heading home after stopping at the library when, once again, (and ironically, for the last time that day) someone thrust yet another leaflet in front of me. It was only when I politely declined (I admit, I don't always. It depends what kind of a mood I am in) that the idea suddenly struck me. I am always spending waaaay too much of my student loan on craft supplies such as pretty paper (I am one hell of a sucker for gorgeous papers). Why didn't I use leaflets and recycled bits of card etc on my cards? Sure I would still have that draw full of supplies etc but I realised it would add an edge to my designs. I always keep scraps of paper (anything I consider to be useful anyway). 


So, last night, I put my theory to the test. I did make a couple of cards using recycled materials. In this case, it was a Flake Easter Egg box and a Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers box but you get the gist and I have to admit, it was a success.
As I was making the aforementioned cards, I also had another wave of inspiration. I am sure that many of the younger generation are more that slightly familiar with 'memes'. This latest craze has taken the internet and, I realised after spending an afternoon with my younger brother and his two friends, the teenage language by storm. Not only are they an excellent source for procrastination (even I myself have fallen prey to the likes of '9gag' and 'tickld') but also provided me with my next inspiration. For those among you who are unaware of this chap, he is normally followed by the phrase 'like a sir' and so, the sentiment of the card is revealed. Of course, they are very audience based but it has opened many doors for my creativity to go exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It's greatly appreciated and I hope you carry on reading =)